Students are expected to abide by the CDC's quarantine guidance. This guidance indicates that an individual should quarantine in the following circumstances:
- Being within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more over a 24- hour period;
- Providing care at home to someone who is sick with COVID-19;
- Having direct physical contact with a person who has COVID-19 (e.g., hugging or kissing);
- Sharing eating or drinking utensils with someone who has COVID-19; and
- Someone with COVID-19 sneezing, coughing, or otherwise getting respiratory droplets on the individual.
While the CDC recommends a 14-day quarantine period as the safest strategy, the CDC’s most recent guidance provides that the quarantine period can end after 10 days if the person experiences no symptoms.
Note that people who have tested positive for COVID-19 do not need to quarantine (or get tested again) for up to 3 months as long as they do not develop symptoms again.