people wearing hazmat suits conduct an inspection

Choose a minor in emergency management and homeland security from Ball State, and you’ll graduate with crucial skills to complement a career in diverse corporate, nonprofit, and governmental settings. This minor has grown in student popularity over the last decade.

Our interdisciplinary program of study focuses on the skills and practices of emergency planning, management, and homeland security, including natural disasters; chemical, biological, and radiological incidents; and acts of terrorism.

Imagine an example scenario: A train carrying hazardous chemicals derails near downtown and releases its contents in a busy area. How does the response team mobilize to effectively detect and clean up the material? How to decontaminate citizens in a timely manner?

Another scenario: A terrorist organization claims to have placed radioactive material in a train station. How does the response group organize into strike teams, evacuate commuters, detect the device, and decontaminate commuters and responders?

This minor works well with majors in:

What You Will Learn

This program combines aspects of the natural and physical sciences, with the social sciences to provide career opportunities in a variety of disciplines. You can expect to learn about complex emergency management issues of:

  • preparedness
  • response
  • recovery
  • mitigation of natural and human-caused disasters

Program Requirements


If you want to learn more about this minor, email us.

The emergency planning and management minor curriculum consists of a total 24 credits. These credits are divided equally into two basic components: required courses and directed elective courses.

Total Credits: 24


A few of the classes you will take include:

  • EMHS 351 Intro Emergency Management
  • EMHS 352 Science WMDs Technol Hazards
  • EMHS 350 Hazmat Health and Safety

For a complete list of all the courses you will take and their descriptions, please see our Course Catalog.

View Catalog

Enroll in this Minor

To enroll, please visit the office of Upper Advising in the Arts and Communication Building (AC), room 224.