Open only by permission, our 24-credit interior design minor is a valuable complement for many disciplines.
- Architecture majors will find this minor extremely beneficial when applying for internships or full time positions as many architectural firms in the country have an Interior Design Division. Also, interior design is a natural complement to architecture.
- Landscape architecture majors may benefit from learning about the use of interior space when considering interior "plantscaping" for large, enclosed spaces such as malls or office buildings.
- Construction management majors may benefit through better understanding of aesthetics and space planning.
- Journalism majors with an interest in writing for interior design or architectural journals and magazines can become better-informed writers.
- Theatre majors with an interest in technical theatre and stage design may find a minor in interior design to be a natural complement to their degree program.
- Art majors may find a minor in interior design, with its emphasis on aesthetics and the placement of objects such as paintings and sculptures within an interior environment, a beneficial supplement to their artistic pursuits.
Required Courses (15 hours)
- IDES 100 – Introduction to Interior Design (3 credits)
- IDES 101 – Rapid Visualization (3 credits) OR CAP 161 - Design Communication Media (2 credits)
- IDES 116 – Basic Design 1 (3 credits) OR CAP 102 – Environmental Design, Communications (4 credits)
- IDES 215 – ID Materials and Finishes (3 credits)
- IDES 222 – ID Studio 1 (3 credits) OR ARCH 201 - Architectural Design (4 credits)
Choose three of the following (9 hours)
- IDES 113 – History and Theoretical Studies (3 credits)
- IDES 117 – Basic Design 2 (3 credits) - *This course is a pre-requisite for IDES 215 and IDES 222
- IDES 120 – Design Tech 1 (3 credits)
- IDES 200 – Interior Design Professional Practice (3 credits)
- IDES 221 – Design Tech 3 (3 credits)
- IDES 224 – Interior Design Studio 2 (3 credits)
- IDES 261 – Universal Design (3 credits)
- IDES 312 – Sustainable Interiors (3 credits)
- IDES 314 – Lighting Technology 1 (3 credits)
- IDES 315 – Lighting Technology 2 (3 credits)
- IDES 324 – Interior Design Studio 3 (3 credits)
- IDES 327 – Project Management and Documentation (3 credits)
- IDES 362 – Interior Construction, Building Systems, and Regulations (3 credits)
- IDES 421 – Furniture Design (3 credits)
For a complete list of all course requirements and their descriptions, please see our Course Catalog.
Admission to the Interior Design minor is competitive and on average we select five students per year. You must receive permission to enroll.
To apply, please complete the application, including a brief written statement explaining how you feel the minor will enhance your degree.
There is no set application deadline.