Ball State PBS, the producing station of “The Joy of Painting,” is happy to announce the return of the award-winning Happy Little Fest—the annual celebration of “all things Bob Ross”—at the place the iconic painter called home for many years.
The Happy Little Fest is set for 1–4 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 1, at University Green, located between Bracken Library and the Architecture Building, 1120 N. McKinley Ave., on the campus of Ball State University.
Ticketing information can be found on the Happy Little Fest website.
“As the home of the popular ‘The Joy of Painting’ series and America’s favorite television painter, Bob Ross, who inspired generations of people to try their hand at creating art, we’re proud to bring this event back to East Central Indiana,” said Dr. Phil Hoffman, assistant dean of Media and general manager of Ball State Public Media, which is housed within the College of Communication, Information, and Media. “And we’ll also have some news about our new commitment to arts and culture programming in the region, dedicating our work to building on Bob’s legacy of creativity and innovation.”
The main event, 3-6 p.m., is a “Paint Like Bob” Workshop. Led by Chris Taylor, Certified Ross Instructor® and associate lecturer and senior director of Sports Production in Ball State’s Department of Media, participants will learn Bob’s signature “wet-on-wet” technique. No experience is necessary. We provide the tools and paint; you take home the 16 x 20 canvas! A painting workshop ticket is required.
The Fest also includes:
- “See Where Bob Painted,” from 1-4 p.m. Across the street in the Ball State PBS studios in the E. F. Ball Communication Building, where “The Joy of Painting” was filmed, you’ll be able to chill out with Bob’s voice in our sensory studio and see 24 original Bob Ross paintings!
- “Happy Little Games,” from 1-4 p.m., hourly. Channel your inner Bob and test how well you know your Bob Ross facts!
- “Bob Ross For Kids” Painting Workshop, 1:30 p.m. Kids ages 6-13 will learn simple techniques to create their own Bob Ross-inspired masterpiece. Free with registration; limited to 12 kids.
- “Look Like Bob” Contest, 2:30 p.m. Come dressed as America’s favorite painter for the chance to win a fabulous prize and bragging rights!
- But wait…there’s more! The Fest includes food trucks, live music, the larger-than-life BOB-ble Head, Peapod the Squirrel, and many great photo ops!
This year’s Happy Little Fest event is presented by Bob Ross, Inc., Wilhoite Family Dentistry, and Dillman’s Furniture and Mattress.
Additional support is provided by Muncie-Delaware County Visitors Bureau, Parker Electric, Parson Mortuary and Cremation Center, Three Rivers Federal Credit Union, Donahue Gas, and Windmill Marketing.
For more information about Ball State Public Media and its programming, visit ballstatepbs.org and indianapublicradio.org.
- Purchase tickets at happylittlefest.org.
- General/Adult tickets are $20, Students are $10, and kids 8 and under are free! Get access to all activity tents, Studio Tours, Sensory Studio, and Painting Gallery.
- Adult (14 years+) Painting Workshop tickets (3-6 p.m.) are $100.
- Event will be held rain or shine. Proceeds benefit Ball State PBS.
- Visit the Ball State PBS event page for more details.