The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that individuals and families should be prepared for a possible influenza pandemic. Steps you should take include:
- Having a two-week supply of food and water in case you cannot get to a store or stores are out of supplies. Examples of food to have on hand include ready-to-eat canned meats, fish, vegetables, and soups; protein bars; dry cereal; peanut butter and nuts; and crackers.
- Having an extra supply of your regular prescription drugs.
- Having nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand including pain relievers, stomach remedies, and cough and cold medicines.
- Having a thermometer on hand.
- Talking about how you would care for family members who become ill.