- The Interior Design Program at Ball State University is based on the belief that the design education should be a balance of theory and practice. Situated in the College of Architecture and Planning and paired with Construction Management, the students are immersed in the comprehensive design field and entire design process spanning programming, schematics, design development, construction documentation, and construction management.
- Sustainability and inclusivity are also paramount in our interior design education. We believe sustainability relates to the built environment and the quality of life; it is a tri-part of environmental awareness, social vitality and economic conservation. With each space designed, we teach inclusivity as we emphasize design that accommodates as many users as possible.
- To expose students to a variety of professional settings related to the interior design industry.
- To prepare students to solve design problems for a variety of spaces within environments built for human habitation focusing on universal design principles (inclusion), evidence-based design and environmental responsibility.
- To immerse students in real world experiences by providing them opportunities to design for real clients and alongside design professionals.
- To instill an aesthetic sensibility and intellectual inquiry.
- To stay current with changing societal, technological and cultural imperatives as related to interior design.
- To position students to accept a career in an interior design professional setting.
Students completing the program should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective methods of communication. Exhibit an ability to appropriately communicate design ideas both graphically and verbally.
- Document the use of creative problem solving. Demonstrate the design process from program to implementation.
- Demonstrate the ability to design for special populations. Document design solutions to exhibit understanding of universal design principles.Document the selection of sustainable materials within the frameworks of LEED/CI.
- Exhibit an understanding of business procedure and project management.
- Demonstrate the ability to design most types of spaces. Document design solutions for varied type of spaces (residential, healthcare, retail, hospitality, and office).