Prepare for doctoral study in exercise physiology and related disciplines with our master of science (MS) in exercise science with a concentration in exercise physiology.
This program is research-intensive. It is intended for students with a serious commitment to exercise physiology as well as have a strong background in exercise physiology as well as the basic sciences (chemistry and biology).
Work in State-of-the-Art Labs
As a student in our program, you will learn and work alongside faculty members who lead the nation in research for our field through our Human Performance Laboratory and Integrative Exercise Physiology Laboratory.
The MS degree requires:
- approximately two years to complete
- a minimum of 33 credits of graduate work
- a thesis covering a research problem that will contribute new knowledge to the field (six hours required), including an oral defense of the thesis
A few of the classes you will take include:
- Applied Physiology
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Exercise Physiology
- Molecular Biology With Laboratory
For a complete list of all the courses you will take and their descriptions, please see our Graduate Catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain general laboratory skills and knowledge of HPL instrumentation (Involves critical thinking and troubleshooting).
- The student will demonstrate the ability to develop research hypotheses and competency in research design.
- Thesis (Multifaceted aspects of critical thinking, data collection, data analysis, interpretation of data, writing, and presenting).
- The student will demonstrate the ability to publicly present science information to peer groups and organizations.
Paying for Your Education
Ready to Apply?
Are you interested in pursuing this degree? Then you will need to meet our admissions criteria and apply.
If you would like to learn more about this program or about Ball State Graduate School in general, please complete our online form to request more information. Or, if you’d like to speak with someone in our department directly by phone or email, please contact us.