If you are a Ball State University faculty or staff member, you will need to purchase a permit to park on campus.  If you are an outside contractor, vendor, or anyone else working on campus not directly employed by the University, you will need to purchase a permit specifically for you

Parking Locations

To see all of the parking lots and garages at Ball State, please see our campus map. Or for a breakdown of the locations allowed by each permit, please see below. View campus map (PDF)

Find A Parking Location


2024-25 Permit Sales

Permit sales for the 2024-25 academic year will begin at 10 a.m. on the following dates:  

  • Monday, June 24, 2024 - Employee Restricted Renewal & General Permits
  • Monday, July 1, 2024 - Residence Hall Permits for Grad Students & Seniors
  • Monday, July 8, 2024 - Restricted Permits Available to all Employees
  • Tuesday, July 9, 2024 - Residence Hall Permits for Juniors
  • Tuesday, July 16, 2024 - Residence Hall Permits for Sophomores
  • Tuesday, July 23, 2024 - Residence Hall Permits for Returning Freshmen
  • Monday, July 29, 2024 - Commuter Student Permits
  • Tuesday, July 30, 2024 - Residence Hall Permits for First Year Freshmen
  • Monday, August 12, 2024 - Waiting Lists Open

*All incoming students are considered First Year Freshmen regardless of the number of credits they have.


You cannot register a vehicle that belongs to another student, employee, or family member of another student or employee. Doing so will result in the revocation of your parking privileges.

Types of Permits

A general permit authorizes parking in:

  • any yellow faculty/staff lot
  • Monday through Friday
  • 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

A general permit does not authorize parking in green commuter lots.

General permits are sold on an academic-year basis. You cannot purchase them by the semester.

Prices for 2023-24

The price of your permit depends on the semester you buy it.

  • Fall – $100
  • Spring – $80
  • Summer – $60


All permits expire August 2, 2024.

A restricted permit allows you to park in:

  • an assigned red lot
  • any green commuter lot

Please check with Parking Services on the price and availability of these spaces. If we do not have any available, you can request to be put on a waiting list.


  • R2 – Petty and McKinley (surface lot)
  • R5 – Architecture Building (surface lot)
  • R6 – New York Parking Garage*
  • R7 – McKinley Avenue Parking Garage*
  • R8 – Student Center Parking Garage*
  • R11 – Administration Drive/Cooper Science Building/Heat Plant

Enforcement hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

* There is no overnight parking allowed in parking garages (3:30-7 a.m.).

R8 Prices for 2023-24

  • Fall only – $188
  • Fall and Spring – $276
  • Yearly – $364

All Other Locations for 2023-24

  • Fall only – $223
  • Fall and Spring – $346
  • Yearly – $469

Fees include $100 for registration plus an additional fee that is prorated monthly beginning October 1, February 1, and June 1.

If you need to park on campus between 4:45 and 7 p.m., you may buy a night pass permit.

This permit applies to both of the following red restricted lots:

  • R2 – Petty and McKinley (surface lot)
  • R5 – Architecture Building (surface lot)

You may add a night pass to a general permit or restricted permit for a different red lot or garage.

If you are already purchasing a standard restricted permit for R2 or R5, you do not need a night pass to park in the same lot. (After 7 p.m. you do not need a permit to park in any restricted lots.)

Night passes are not sold for the summer, when we stop enforcing restricted lots at 4 p.m.

Prices for 2023-24

All night pass permits are $50 per semester, excluding Summer, when we stop enforcing parking restrictions on these lots at 4 p.m.


Permits expire on the following dates:

  • Fall – January 5, 2024
  • Spring – Expires May 10, 2024
Electric vehicle permits are available upon request for an additional $60 per semester. They allow parking in designated electric vehicle spaces located in the lot equal to where the permit holder’s permanent parking permit allows (i.e., any EV space in any red lot if the person has a red restricted lot permit; any EV space in a yellow lot or green lot if the permit holder has a yellow or green permit).

Anyone parking in a Ball State disabled driver space must display a Ball State disabled driver permit along with a current Ball State parking permit.

The University issues disabled driver permits free of charge to employees who provide supporting documentation.

Types of Permits

We offer two types of disabled driver permits, depending on how long you will need one.


Temporary disabled driver permits last up to four weeks for employees who present proper documentation to our office.

Accepted forms of documentation are:

  • the certification sheet for the state-issued placard
  • documentation from your doctor stating the length of time the permit is needed


Permanent disabled driver permits are issued on an academic-year basis.

You must provide proof that you have a current state-issued disability placard or license plate, which you must submit to the Office of Parking Services every year.

Accepted forms of documentation are:

  • the vehicle registration for the handicap license plate
  • the certification sheet for the state-issued placard

Parking Locations

Where you may use a disabled driver permit depends on the type of primary Ball State parking permit you have.

General Permit

You may park in the disabled driver spaces of yellow faculty/staff lots (not red restricted or blue residence hall lots).

Restricted Permit

You may park in the disabled driver spaces of:

  • assigned red restricted lot
  • yellow faculty/staff lots
  • green commuter lots

Students or employees who do not have a current Ball State permit may purchase a temporary one that lasts two weeks.

The expiration date will be two weeks from the date you buy your permit.

Parking Services reserves the right to limit the number of temporary permits that may be purchased to three or fewer per semester.

The type of temporary permit issued will be determined by your classification.

  • off-campus students – green surface commuter lots
  • residence hall students – stadium and stadium overflow lots
  • faculty/staff – yellow faculty/staff lots

Two-week permits are not available for red restricted or blue residence hall lots.



Departmental permits are available to Ball State University departments. The number of permits assigned to each department for short-term parking, errands, and deliveries away from your normal work area.

They are not to be used for parking outside your building. Departmental permits are not intended for long-term parking needs, nor are they to be issued to specific people—they are to be shared by the entire office.

The number of permits a department receives is based on the number of employees it has.

Departmental permits may be used by any faculty, staff, and students employed by the department.

How to Display

The person using the permit must display their current faculty/staff or student permit. The departmental permit should be displayed on the front windshield just above the window sticker.


  • regular spaces in yellow faculty/staff lots
  • green commuter lots
  • metered spaces (without having to pay)

Departmental permits do not allow parking in:

  • red restricted lots
  • blue housing lots
  • disabled driver spaces
  • Special 97 spaces
  • any restricted area
  • fire lanes, driveways, and "No Parking" areas
  • service vehicle spaces
  • loading docks past the 20-minute time limit


Users or departments found misusing the permit will be subject to a progressive disciplinary process.

  1. The first violation will be a warning.
  2. The second violation will be a department fine and an Improper Registration citation to the user.
  3. The third violation will be revocation of the privilege of having a departmental permit as well as possible revocation of the user’s parking privileges.

How to Request a Permit

Departmental permits may be requested by the dean, director, or chair of the department.

For more information on requesting a departmental permit, call 765-285-1208.

Buy a Permit

Have you determined what type of permit you need? Then make your purchase online.

Buy a Permit

Questions or Concerns?

Not finding what you’re looking for or have a concern? Fill out our online form, and we will get back to you. Or if you’d rather speak to someone directly, call or email us.

Send Question or Comment       Contact Us