Follow our instructions for course registration, course withdrawal, and application for students in special circumstances including reenrollment, reinstatement, guest, and audit statuses.

Use our Special Undergraduate Application to apply for any of the following enrollment statuses:

  • reinrollment
  • reinstatement
  • guest
  • audit
  • non-degree
  • second bachelor degree

Get Started

Graduate Students

You may enroll in Ball State graduate courses and transfer credit back to your home institution.

Learn More

At Ball State University, student attendance at class meetings is expected. Faculty shall establish attendance policies for their courses. Such attendance policies must be communicated to students by faculty through course syllabi or outlines.

Absence caused by field trips or activities in which the student is representing Ball State at state, regional, or national events shall be announced in advance to instructors of the other course(s) in which the student is enrolled. A notice will originate in the office of the department chairperson and be brought to the instructor(s) by the student at least three days before the field trip.

All trips should be scheduled after the first week or before the last two weeks of a semester (including the exam period). Exceptions to these periods will be granted only after consultation with and approval by the provost and executive vice president for academic affairs.

Faculty are expected to allow students to make up all missed course activities during their absence including, but not limited to, class activities, assignments, exams, and final exams. Students should not be penalized for their absence while representing the university.

When possible, students are expected to complete these activities before their absences.

Detailed information regarding requirements for veterans' attendance may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. This information is kept current by directives received from the administrator of Veterans Affairs, VACO, Washington, DC.

Before Start of Term

If you do not wish to remain enrolled in any classes in the next semester or session and want to cancel your registration, you may do so online by visiting the Student Registration page on my.bsu.

Cancellation will be permitted online until midnight the Sunday before the beginning of the semester or term (see academic calendar). You may also contact Cardinal Central at 765-285-2222 during normal business hours with questions.

After Start of Term

If you do not wish to attend any Ball State classes and it is after the official start date of the semester, you may withdraw from all your classes with Cardinal Central. Call 765-285-3312 or visit the student portal at

Ball State’s Online and Distance Education division offers off-campus options to meet the needs of students facing the challenges of time, distance, and family and work responsibilities.

Distance education courses are delivered via web conferencing, onsite instruction, the internet, and independent learning.

This program offers a variety of programs of study, from associate to doctoral and specialist degrees.

Do you need proof of full-time enrollment for an insurance company or other organization? If so, Ball State University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications.

You can contact the National Student Clearinghouse at:

National Student Clearinghouse
13454 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Students are expected to participate in preregistration periods before their next term of attendance.

The semester schedule of classes has instructions for registration and, in the calendar, shows important dates for the registration process. This preregistration program makes it possible to start classes promptly.

Student enrollment adjustments outside calendar deadlines must be authorized by the instructor of the class and/or the departmental chairperson. Depending on how late the adjustment request occurs, additional signature authorizations may be required.

Attending but not on the List

Is the student attending a course to resolve an incomplete from a previous term?

Yes - The student should work with the instructor to complete the requirements for the course. A new enrollment should not be processed. Use the previous enrollment.

No – The student needs to enroll for the course. If this occurs after add/drop deadlines for the term, the instructor must give permission for the student to add the course.

Please note, the processing of permission paperwork must be completed as quickly as possible due to the potential impact on student fees as well as scholarships and financial aid. Any questions relating to this topic should be directed to the registration area at 765-285-1684 or via email.