Prepare to work in the sport industry with a sport administration major. Whether your interest lies in professional, collegiate, or recreational sport; marketing and management agencies; profit or non-profit organizations; or parks and recreation, our comprehensive curriculum incorporates an experiential, hands-on methodology. By graduation, you will have industry knowledge and real-world experience to achieve employment or pursue a graduate program.
The ability to focus on real-world challenges was great preparation. I was able to take specific examples when I was interviewing for positions.
– 2021 Graduate
- University Core Curriculum: 36 credits
- Sport Administration Major: 63 credits
- Minor: 21-24 credits
Select one of the four minors as part of your sport administration degree.
Sierra Lehman talks about her experience with the Sport Administration program at Ball State. Watch more testimonials.
What it's Like to Major in Sport Administration
Classes are 100% faculty-taught—no graduate/teaching assistants as instructors.
You'll participate in interactive, hands-on experience and one-on-one conversations with faculty.
The Ball State Sport Administration curriculum is experiential – you graduate with industry experience.
- 75+ athletic events worked each academic year
- 225+ hours of senior-level oversight during athletic events
- Approximately 2,765 volunteer hours worked within athletic events
- Generate thousands of dollars in sales and profits through sport-industry projects
Our partnerships include:
- Fort Wayne TinCaps – Sell full-ticket-package options.
- Ball State Athletics – Work within operations, logistics, marketing, and on-field promotions for home sporting events (1,200+ hours).
- Albany Golf Club – Create and operate a golf outing.
- Muncie ICE League – Operate and manage an academic-focused basketball league.
- Chase Charlie Races – Create, organize, and manage a 5K, virtual, and Kiddie 100 races.
Event Management Class
Our event management class raises thousands of dollars for our Sport Administration Fund for Excellence account, which financially support professional development and networking conferences for students.
The account paid for students to attend the…
- United States Olympic Committee Internship Fair in Colorado Springs
- Baseball Winter Meetings in Baltimore & San Diego
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
- National Recreation and Park Association Annual Conference
- Sport Sales Workshop and Job Fair at Mount Union
- Many conferences in Chicago & Indianapolis
- and many others…
Sport Administration Association
The student-led club offers executive leadership positions to enhance student opportunities through…
- semester trips – venue tours, Q&A sessions with sport organization executives, and attending games
- guest speakers
- social events
Women in Sport Business
The student-led club focuses on female careers and empowerment within the sport industry.
- Alumni Mentorship Program – Students are paired with sport industry professionals who can provide insight on career advice, best practices, interview strategies, job shadow opportunities, etc.
- Faculty bring Indiana and non-Indiana sport professionals in for classroom discussions (and through Zoom/Skype).
- Ball State Athletics allow students an opportunity to gain experience through volunteer and student work positions across the department
- Up to 100% reimbursement for professional development (career fairs and networking events) expenses
- Multiple leadership positions within program-specific student organization each semester
- Students demonstrate strong work habits, willingness to learn, communication skills, creative thinking, problem-solving, professionalism, teamwork, and customer service.
- Students demonstrate knowledge of sport management practices.
- Students demonstrate sport sales skills: the ability to open the sales call, show enthusiasm, interpersonal communication skills, confidence, persistence, ask probing questions, and generate solutions for the customer.
- Students demonstrate command of dynamic writing language free from spelling, grammatical, and factual errors at a publishable level.
- Students demonstrate knowledge as to how to pursue employment in the sport industry as well as professional representation in the job search.
On top of the dozens of funding options offered through Ball State’s Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, our department awards scholarships to our own students. Find a scholarship.
Take the Next Step
If you’d like to learn more about our Sport Administration Major, please contact us. Or one of the best ways to get a true feel for Ball State is to see it for yourself, so schedule a visit today! And if you’re ready to apply, review our admission requirements and complete our online application.