The Ball State Jazz Combos provide small group experiences in jazz and commercial music under the direction of our jazz faculty. The number of combos varies from semester to semester, with no less than six rehearsing per semester. All students are encouraged to develop their improvisational skills in these small group experiences. Each combo performs at least twice per semester in Hahn Recital Hall. Each combo meets for one hour per week at times to be determined.
Students who wish to participate in the combo program must follow the audition process at the beginning of the academic year.
Schedules are varied. Students give us their schedules the first week of classes and are put into combos based upon level of ability and availability.
MUSP 231, (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join a Combo
All Fall 2023 auditions will be held in MU 117 in the Hargreaves Music Building. Signup now for your audition. Please email Director of Jazz Studies Mark Buselli with any questions.
- Wednesday, August 16, 2023 – saxophones (Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Thursday, August 17, 2023 – rhythm section (Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Saturday, August 19, 2023 – brass (11am – 7pm)
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read