Jazz Ensemble 3 plays six concerts a year with students working towards developing sectional and improvisational skills in the jazz style. An emphasis is placed on scales, sight reading, intonation, ensemble playing, and improvisation. Many students start their collegiate jazz experience in this ensemble and work their way to Jazz 1. Jazz 3 is directed by a graduate assistant and Mark Buselli.
Tuesday and Thursday: 11-11:50 a.m.
Hargreaves Music Building (MU), room 120
- MUSC 141, section 1C (0 credit – undergraduate)
- MUSC 341, section 1C (1 credit – undergraduate)
Join the Ensemble
All Fall 2022 auditions will be held in person in MU 117 in the Hargreaves Music Building. Signup now for your audition. Please email Director of Jazz Studies Mark Buselli with any questions.
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022 – saxophones (Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Thursday, August 18, 2022 – rhythm section
(Noon to 6 p.m.)
- Friday, August 19, 2022 – brass (Noon to 6 p.m.)
Here are the requirements for your ensemble audition:
- Prepare something that you have been working on or have performed in the past. It could be a tune, a transcribed solo, or a piece of music in a jazz setting.
- All major scales
- Improvise over a B-flat blues
- Sight read