The technical theatre minor is designed for students who have an interest in theatre production and wish to enhance their course of study in another major by exploring courses in design and technical theatre.
Ball State’s technical theatre course work allows you to gain an understanding of the skills and tools essential to working on the technical side of a theatre production.
- You will have the opportunity to take courses in stagecraft, design (scenic, costume, lighting, sound), stage management, drafting, and many other electives, allowing you to tailor the minor to your individual skills and interests.
- You will build on your classroom experience by working in our production season—gaining hands-on experience that can translate to your future career.
- As a Ball State student, you have access to exciting immersive learning opportunities to collaborate with other disciplines and get involved in projects with real-world impact.
- Ball State Department of Theatre and Dance is an active award-winning participant in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF).
- The technical theatre minor is 20 credits.
Our theatre faculty are dedicated to providing you with a rigorous and diverse educational experience that will augment and enrich your other areas of study.
- Our low student-to-faculty ratio and small class sizes ensure that professors know you as an individual and can provide hands-on advising and mentoring.
- Our theatre faculty have diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and bring unique perspectives and real-world experience into the classroom.
Our dedicated, caring faculty will immediately welcome you into our community and guide you throughout your entire experience in the theatre program. You will study with a faculty of impassioned educators with a wide breadth of professional theatre experience.
READ THEIR BIOS
With 20 or more theatre and dance performances each year in our mainstage, studio, and workshop spaces, you will have numerous opportunities to work on classic and contemporary plays, musicals, dance pieces, and works that are devised or not textually based.
- Ball State University is located within driving distance of major theatres in Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Louisville.
- The theatre faculty can be a resource for you as you look for technical theatre internships or summer work.
In addition to faculty who are accomplished in the professional world, we bring in distinguished guest artists on a regular basis to work with you—in classes, workshops, and the production season.
SEE OUR GUEST ARTISTS
Find out More
Are you interested in the technical theatre minor? Please contact us for more information.