Attend a live webinar to learn more about the graduate applied behavioral analysis (ABA) and special education programs. You will receive an application fee waiver after the event, just for registering.
Autism is seen in classrooms more often than ever before. Prepare yourself to provide an intervention for students with autism by earning a graduate certificate in autism. Taught completely online, this program follows the same stringent standards as our on-campus courses but you are free to earn your degree from the comfort of your home or office.
May 13, 2024
Next Start Date:
- Delivery: 100% Online
- Major Credits: 15
- Course Length: 8-week or 16-week
- No GRE Required
This program can be completed in conjunction with the graduate certificate in applied behavior analysis to partially complete the requirements for the master’s degree in special education. We can help you build a customized path of study, including accelerated 8-week courses. Contact Ball State Online at firstname.lastname@example.org, 765-285-1581, or toll-free at 800-872-0369.
You can also add on 15 credits of core elementary education courses to complete a master's in elementary education. If you are interested in this path, contact the graduate elementary education advisor to build your customized plan of study.
Federal Employees Pay In-State Tuition
Ball State has joined the Federal Academic Alliance and is offering reduced tuition rates for all eligible, non-Indiana resident Federal Government Employees (civil servants), spouses, dependents, and retirees who enroll in online graduate-level programs and courses through Ball State’s Teachers College. Learn more.
The role of your academic advisor is more than telling you which courses to take. For starters, they are student success specialists, and they are dedicated to your academic success. You’ll work with the same specialist from application to graduation.
Contact your student success specialist, who can answer questions you have about our program.
The 15-credit autism graduate certificate provides specialized training for those treating students with autism spectrum disorders, which is the fastest growing disability group. The autism certificate can be integrated into a master’s program in special education. It’s a good complement for you if you have a teaching license in elementary, secondary, or special education.
Please note that the autism graduate certificate does not lead to a teaching license. Graduate certificates will not accept transfer credits.
For a complete list of courses in this program, see the course catalog.
Before enrolling in the SPCE 683 Field-Based Experience in Autism, you must have completed the following courses with a final grade of “B” or higher:
- SPCE 609 Introduction to Applied Behavior Analysis (3 credits)
- SPCE 680 Introduction to Persons with Autism Spectrum Disorders (3 credits)
- SPCE 682 Interventions and Treatments for Persons with Autism (3 credits)
The sequence of the courses must be planned with your advisor.
- It is your responsibility to secure a field-based experience site. This location should help you meet your professional goals.
- Acceptable field-based experience locations include schools, ABA clinics/home programs, group homes, hospitals, and mental health centers, among others.
- This position can be paid but it is not required. Review the non-compete, if any, you are required to sign for placement. Your supervisor should have experience in behavior management to appropriately guide you through the course.
- Your supervisor could be a psychologist, special education teacher, principal, or fellow teacher. However, if you plan to use these hours towards your BACB supervised field experience hours (1500 required before BCBA exam), your supervisor must be a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) and must meet the requirements to be a "supervisor," according to the BACB.
- You must be able to commit to working a minimum of 10 hours per week and a maximum of 30 hours per week.
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Review deadlines, admission requirements, and application materials, then start your application.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.
Request Info Contact Us