Register for an Information Session
Attend a live webinar to learn more about the Master's in Information and Communication Science. You will receive an application fee waiver after the event, just for registering.
The world of information technology and communication sciences is one of continued growth and change. Today, nearly all organizations are technology organizations in core ways. New opportunities are created every day for those willing to attain the skills and education necessary to join in and advance this field even further.
The online master of science in information and communication sciences provides that education with innovative course work, a flexible degree plan, and immersive learning opportunities that present you with real-world issues to solve and projects to collaborate on with working professionals and alumni in the field. You will also work closely with our team of forward-thinking faculty, including many of the same faculty who teach this award-winning program on campus.
You’ll graduate with the skills, connections, and confidence you need to be an attractive candidate for a variety of information technology positions, business positions, and those that meld the two. The opportunity, however you choose to pursue it, is yours.
For Working Professionals
You’ll study and collaborate with other professionals since MS in ICS requires three years of work experience. Course work does not utilize recorded lectures or streaming classrooms. You can expect high collaboration, interesting discussion, and projects lifted directly from the real world.
Our degree is lower cost than most and we have a 90 percent job placement rate, making the Ball State MS in ICS a degree with a high return on investment. We encourage you to compare our costs with others.
The Wall Street Journal even has a thing or two to say about our program, ranking our MS in ICS first in graduate degree value. Read more.
Why an MS in ICS?
This degree integrates business administration and information sciences by combining the best of both. You will receive the quality and valuable business and leadership instruction as well as the rich technical data curriculum covering areas from data science to networking to coding. As a result, you will be a sought-after commodity in the business and tech world, where the boundaries are increasingly disappearing.
Nationally Recognized by ITERA and U.S. News
The master of science in information and communication sciences has been a top-rated program by the Information and Telecommunications Education and Research Association (ITERA) for many years.
It was also ranked 19th in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for Best Online Master's in Computer Information Technology Programs.
Immersive learning is Ball State University’s approach to student-driven projects, lasting outcomes, and community partnerships.
In our program, you can take part in special projects for information and communication companies. You can gain valuable experience and build business relationships in the process. You’ll receive:
- real-life application of the concepts you are learning in the classroom
- feedback from professors, alumni, and industry professionals to reinforce your management and leadership skills
- broad connections to alumni and organizational leaders working across every technology field
- professional experiences to build your skills in categories such as decision-making, stakeholder analysis, conflict resolution, and more
- satisfaction from helping our communities through service
The Student Social Learning Program is our well-developed strategy to grow our graduate students into more knowledgeable professionals who function well in business social settings at the leadership level. At the start of each term you will have the opportunity to advance your professional skills and broaden your social network through one- and two-day workshops. There will also be optional networking and professional development opportunities throughout each year.
The Center for Information and Communication Sciences (CICS) is honored to announce two firsts. CICS is the first institution nationally to have two-faculty members certified as AWS Cloud Practitioners, professor Steve Jones and program associate director Kirsten Smith.
And, Ball State is now the first university in the country partnered with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy to deliver its inaugural Cloud Practitioner curriculum (and hands-on labs).
This curriculum is focused on the requisite knowledge to operate systems in the rapidly expanding Cloud technology environment. The AWS Cloud Practitioner designation is new to AWS’s educational platform, providing content for understanding the fundamentals associated with cloud computing, storage, databases, content delivery (multimedia), scaling networks, security, and other services tied to cloud infrastructure. A critical aspect of the curriculum is designed to help you understand how to use cloud-based services that are highly elastic, scalable, and cost effective for business applications.
At the end of the course, you will be qualified to take the exam certification, which provides you with an industry-recognized achievement in the cloud networking industry.
This 38-credit program can be completed in as little as 6 terms.
At least one elective course outside CICS can be selected in consultation with the advisor and subject to the approval of the CICS director.
For a full list of required courses and their descriptions, see the course catalog.
- ICS 600 Survey of Management (3 credits)
- ICS 601 Foundations of Information and Communication Sciences (3 credits)
- ICS 602 Human Communication: Process and Theory (3 credits)
- ICS 620 Information and Communication Technologies, Standards and Lab I (4 credits)
- ICS 621 Information and Communication Technologies, Standards and Lab II (4 credits)
- ICS 630 Research Methodologies and Problems Seminar (3 credits)
- ICS 660 Human Factors, Needs Assessment, and User-Driven Design (3 credits)
Sample electives recently offered include:
- ICS 605 Interpersonal Mgmt Skills (3 credits)
- ICS 624 Knowledge Management (3 credits)
- ICS 633 Systems Analysis and Design (3 credits)
- ICS 634 Project Management (3 credits)
- ICS 635 Info and Comm Projects (1-2 credits)
- ICS 640 Info and Comm Industry (3 credits)
- ICS 642 Regulatory Research in Context/Problems in Information Communication (3 credits)
- ICS 643 Social Responsibility in I/C Policy (3 credits)
- ICS 644 Technologies, Financial Aspects, and the Economics of Choice (3 credits)
- ICS 646 Management of Information and Communication Technology Organizations (3 credits)
- ICS 653 Issues in Comm Consultation (3 credits)
- ICS 655 Special Problems Seminar (3 credits)
- ICS 661 Entrepreneurship/Intrapreneurship (3 credits)
- ICS 662 Usability Testing (3 credits)
- ICS 666 Strategic Planning for IT (3 credits)
- ICS 675 Info and Comm Marketing (3 credits)
- ICS 695 Independent Study (1-3 credits)
- ICS 623 Systems Engineering in Information & Communication Technology (3 credits)
- ICS 625 Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (3 credits)
- ICS 632 Problems in Information and Communication Technologies Seminar (3 credits)
- ICS 645 Database Systems and Analytics (3 credits)
- ICS 648 Wireless and Satellite Comm (3 credits)
- ICS 649 Cybersecurity Fundamentals (3 credits)
- ICS 650 Wireless 2 (3 credits)
- ICS 663 Network Design: Optimizing, Scaling and Securing Networks (3 credits)
- ICS 664 Cloud Technologies (3 credits)
- ICS 667 Advanced Security Topics (3 credits)
- ICS 684 Program Management (3 credits)
- ICS 691 Internet, TCP/IP, and Internetworking (3 credits)
- ICS 692 Advanced Network Configuration (3)
- ICS 696 Info and Comm Research and App (2 credits)
- ICS 698 Problems in Information Sys (3 credits)
- ICS 699 Problems in Info and Comm Mgmt (3 credits)
More about Online Learning
Ready to Apply?
Applicants for the online program must have three years of professional work experience to qualify. No GRE is required.
Applying for admission is easy. Use our convenient and secure online application.
Want to Learn More?
Do you have questions about this program or online learning? We’re here to help! You may request more information using our online form, or feel free to reach out directly to one of our staff.