Use SPIN to Find Funding Opportunities for Your Work
SPIN (Sponsored Programs Information Network) is a funding opportunity database that provides information on government and private funding sources in both the US and abroad. SPIN contains over 40,000 funding opportunities from more than 10,000 global sponsors. Ball State’s Sponsored Projects Administration has subscribed to the SPIN database and provides access to all BSU users.
The data in SPIN is obtained directly from the sponsoring agencies to ensure the integrity of information. Each program is updated in SPIN as the sponsor revises it (which is typically on an annual basis). The SPIN database is provided through an annual subscription to more than 1,000 colleges, universities, and industry clients worldwide.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH SPIN?
So glad you asked. With SPIN you can:
- Access funding information online, from any browser
- Organize grant information in one convenient place
- Gain access to the largest Keyword list, allowing for greater flexibility in your searches
- Quickly locate Limited Submission Opportunities, Federal or non-Federal programs
- Locate all types of funding information
The SPIN database allows users to search for funding program announcements via three types of searches: Basic, Keyword, or Advanced, all of which are available without logging in or creating an account if accessed while utilizing the BSU wireless or VPN network.
In order to use the database off campus and take full advantage of its many features, you must create a SPIN account. SPIN allows users to save search filters, save searches to run again in the future, create bookmarks to store grant opportunities, and access searches and bookmarks created by SPA for the campus community.
You can filter results to include specific sponsor types, project locations, deadlines, types of grants, how new a program is and more. Search by a wide variety of criteria like impending deadlines, federal grants only, and non-traditional sources.
Saving & Retrieving Your Searches
Save your search queries and easily access those search results from your top navigation any time. You must access the SPIN database through SSO.
Automation & Email Alerts
Automate your funding searches! Once you're logged in to SPIN, save a search to activate a SMARTS email alert. Have SPIN send you email notifications daily or weekly with recent funding opportunities, so you never miss an opportunity or deadline.
Get started today: Choose Ball State University from the Institutional Login drop-down menu to be redirected to BSU's Single Sign-On screen.
- InfoEd Global offers a library of short tutorial videos to guide new SPIN users. These videos cover basic navigation, search techniques, and user customization, and are located under the SPIN Help tab.
- The SPIN Quick Start Guide includes steps for logging into the system and conducting Text, Advanced, and Keyword searches.
- The SPIN Funding Database Search Tips (coming soon!) covers the three SPIN search modes and includes helpful tips for making the most of each search.
- For additional assistance with SPIN, please contact your Proposal Manager.
Watch the Communications Center for information about upcoming training sessions on SPIN.