The Faculty Externship Program has been scaled alongside the Skills Infusion Program, as of summer 2020. Please note the changes from the previous program structure.
Academic year, full-time Ball State University faculty members who have previously participated in the Skills Infusion Program are invited to apply for a summer experience with an Indiana business that requires skills representative of those taught by the faculty in their department. This experience termed a “Faculty Externship Program,” will take place over the summer and includes 40 hours of on-site learning, a written externship experience summary, and a final narrative report, and then a department/college presentation will be made in the fall.
How To Get Started
SUPPLEMENTAL COMPENSATION POLICY
For more information about supplemental compensation, and if you're eligible to receive the full amount, please contact Sponsored Projects Administration.
Faculty are permitted to participate in a maximum of one Faculty Externship Program experience through the Career Center. Contact your department chair for approval to begin the application process.
Applicants will be asked to identify an Indiana business of interest from our list of TechPoint and Conexus Indiana sponsored companies, and the Career Center will assist to arrange placement at the summer externship site.
Please disclose any/all anticipated summer responsibilities, including course load, grants, and/or projects, as all payments will be made in accordance with the maximums outlined in the Supplemental Compensation Policy.
Responsibilities of Awarded Faculty Member
- Coordinate with the Career Center for approval of your Indiana externship site, dates of on-site experience, and payment schedule. Sign externship agreement and return it to the Career Center before the externship begins.
- Spend a minimum of 40 hours on site. Log hours and obtain signatures of on-site supervisor and submit to the Career Center no later than August 20, 2021.
- Externships must be completed, written externship experience summary and final narrative report received to the Career Center by/before August 27, 2021.
- The written externship experience summary is a summation of the externship and company/industry, along with explicit recommendations regarding the implementation of new processes, procedures, or curricula to be enhanced or developed within the next academic year as a result of the industry exposure.
- Share the summer externship experience and above action steps with your individual department/college via a final presentation during the fall semester. Faculty will coordinate with their respective chair/dean for reservations, calendar approval, announcements, etc. The fall semester presentation should include information about 1) the company/industry, 2) the summer externship experience, and 3) curricula changes and course recommendations.
Payment for the externship experience is up to $2,500 (averaged at 15 days of work). Once documentation of written externship experience summary and final narrative reports, a partial payment request in the amount of up to $1,500 will be generated to be paid through the Ball State payroll system on the next available pay cycle. The final (up to) $1,000 will be paid upon delivery of the department/college presentation in the fall semester.
All payments will be made in accordance with the maximums outlined in the Supplemental Compensation Policy. Please consider this when selecting which summer session to complete the externship.
If faculty choose to serve as a Faculty Fellow for future Skills Infusion Program cohorts, an additional $500 could be awarded for time and energy as a mentor/ liaison as a Faculty Fellow lead for 2 semesters (1 academic year).
- Feb. 24– Externship interest form due to Cardinal Connect Program Director (Career Center)
- Feb. 25 - Mar. 10 – Applications reviewed for approval by College Deans
- March-April – Awardees work with Career Center to confirm externship goals and location, etc.
- May 3-Aug. 20 – Externship takes place over the summer term (40 hours on site of an Indiana industry)
- Aug. 27 – Written externship experience summary and final narrative report received to the Career Center
- Fall Semester – Faculty presentations must be completed within the fall semester