How to Order
Cap and gown packages are available to order online to be shipped to your home, or you can select to ship to Bookstore to pick up your cap and gown package from the Ball State Bookstore beginning on Tuesday, July 19.
Ship to Home
Graduates can select "Ship to Home" when purchasing their cap and gown online. There is a minimum shipping and handling fee of $13.95. Packages will be shipped directly to the address provided within approximately three weeks (deadline to order: Monday, June 27).
Ship to Bookstore
Graduates can select the ship to Bookstore option to pick up your cap and gown package from the Ball State Bookstore in the Art and Journalism Building in July (deadline to order Wednesday, June 15). The first available pick-up date is Tuesday, July 19. If you have any questions before placing your order, contact the Ball State Bookstore at 765-285-8080.
Order Cap and Gown
Associate's Degree Students
If you are a student graduating with an associate’s degree, please contact the Ball State Bookstore at 765-285-8080 for your regalia needs.
Cap and Gown Pricing and Details
Cap and Gown Prices
|Associate Degree Cap, Gown, and Tassel ||$63.98
|Baccalaureate Degree Cap, Gown, and Tassel ||$63.98
|Master’s Degree Cap, Gown, Hood, and Tassel ||$118.98
|Doctorate and Specialist Degree Gown, Hood, and Tam ||$153.98
All Associate Degrees
- black gown
- black cap and flat mortar board with cardinal tassel
All Baccalaureate (Bachelor's) Degrees
- black baccalaureate gown (long, rounded sleeves)
- black cap and flat mortar board with cardinal and white tassel
All Master's Degrees
- black masters gown (long, oblong sleeves)
- black cap and flat mortarboard with tassel and masters hood representing area of study
Master's Degree Tassel and Hood Details
||Tassel and Hood Match
|M.A. - Master of Art ||White
|M.M. - Master of Music ||Pink
|MAE - Master of Arts in Education ||Light Blue
|MAR - Master of Architecture ||Light Purple
|MBA - Master of Business Administration ||Royal Blue
|MLA - Master of Landscape Architecture ||Light Purple
|M.S. - Master of Science ||Golden Yellow
|MSW – Master of Social Work ||Citron
|MUR - Master of Urban and Regional Architecture ||Light Purple
|MPA - Master of Public Administration ||Teal Green
All Doctoral Degrees
- black gown with three velvet bars on the sleeves
- black cap, soft or hard, with gold tassel, and doctoral hood representing area of study.
Doctoral Degree tassel and hood Details
||Tassel and Hood
|Ph.D. - Doctor of Philosophy ||Gold Tassel and Royal Blue Hood
|DA - Doctor of Arts ||Gold Tassel and Pink Hood
|EdD - Doctor of Education ||Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
|EdS - Specialist in Education ||Gold Tassel and Light Blue Hood
|AUD - Doctor of Audiology ||Gold Tassel and Rhodes Blue Hood
|DNP - Doctor of Nursing Practice ||Gold Tassel and Apricot Hood
Ball State University welcomes students, academic programs, and student organizations to express their identity and values through the addition of appropriate accessories to the standard regalia. Any accessories added to the regalia should not obstruct the view of others at the ceremony or interfere with another’s participation in the ceremony.
Ball State University student organizations wishing to provide members or participants with accessories to be worn at commencement must seek prior approval from the Office of Commencement. The cost of the accessories will be borne by the organization or student members. A list of all pre-approved regalia accessories, including the requesting person or organization, description, and meaning of the accessory will be maintained by the Commencement Office. Students not in compliance with the requirements of this policy may be asked to remove and/or conceal any unapproved accessory.
Examples of Accessories
- cum laude—bronze medallion
- magna cum laude—silver medallion
- summa cum laude—gold medallion
- R. Wayne Estopinal College of Architecture and Planning—stole approved by the college
- Honors College—red and white cords
- Military—black and gold cords; student veteran's stole
- Top 100 Student Awards—gold cords; awarded by the Ball State University Foundation
- Mortar Board—gold and silver cords
- Phi Kappa Phi—blue and gold cords
- Golden Key—blue and gold cords
- Phi Upsilon Omicron - yellow, purple, and white cords; purple stole
- Student Athletes – red and white stole
- Fraternity and Sorority Life – in accordance with affiliation
- Kente Stole—available to order through the cap & gown order portal
- Rainbow and Lavender Stoles—LGBTQ+ and Ally community (available to order through the cap & gown ordering portal)
- Alpha Delta Kappa Collegiate Club – lavender and purple cords
- Emerging Green Builders Club – green cords
- Sports Administration Association – red and black cords
- Housing and Residence Life - white and red stole approved by the organization, and red and silver cords for graduate assistants.
*Graduates may decorate their mortarboard as long as it is not inappropriate or distracting to the ceremony or graduates around them.
Purchasing Other Graduation Items
Thank you cards, diploma frames, and many other graduation items are also available online or at the Ball State Bookstore. See other graduation items for purchase.
Please contact the Ball State Bookstore with any additional questions at 765-285-8080.