Timothy Gray is an architect, educator and environmental advocate with extensive expertise in sustainable design. Since coming to Ball State University from the California College of the Arts in 2004, Tim has led multiple undergraduate studios which have resulted in a variety of community-based design–build projects, working with multiple community partners such as Indianapolis Food Bank, Butler University, and the near east side Legacy Center.
In addition to his teaching Timothy has an active practice, Gray Architecture
, which was established in 1995 and has completed a broad range projects both in Indianapolis and beyond, including the recently renovated Hotel Broad Ripple. Another recent project, the 1317 Pennsylvania Street Building, was recently purchased and renovated by partner company Jackdog Properties. In addition to housing Gray Architecture’s offices, the project was one of seven recognized with a State AIA Excellence in Architecture award in 2017.
Tim has provided service in many capacities including three years on the State Board of Directors for the USGBC (US Green Building Council), and numerous University positions. Gray Architecture designed and registered the first LEED Certified building in Howard County, IN, in 2013.
- AIA Indiana Citation Award for Excellence in Architecture; Offices for Matchbook Creative; Interiors
- S.ARCH Project Award; Best Completed Small Project; International Sustainable Architecture Conference, Hong Kong; GrOwING GREEN (BSU Design Build)
- AIA Indianapolis Citation Award for Excellence in Architecture; projects less than one million; GrOwING GREEN (BSU Design Build)
- AIA Indiana Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture; for GrOwING GREEN (BSU Design Build)
- City of Indianapolis Facade Grant recipient for renovation of 1317 N. Pennsylvania Street
- INDY Chamber Monumental Achievement Award; City of Indianapolis: GRIDfarm (with Lucas Brown)
- AIA Indianapolis (American Institute of Architects) Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture “Buildings Less than $5 million”: GRIDfarm w/ Lucas Brown / Growing Places Indy