Professor of Psychology--Educational Psychology
Department of Educational Psychology
About Jerrell Cassady
Jerrell Cassady is Professor of Psychology and has been at Ball State since 1999. His areas of expertise include test anxiety, human learning, teacher education, and research design. He frequently works with national organizations (e.g., Smithsonian Institution, National Parks Foundation) and local school and community groups (e.g., Muncie Community Schools, Hancock County Community Foundation) to design and implement evaluation studies documenting successful educational programming in practice.
- Professor of Psychology (2009 - present; Associate Professor 2004-2009; Assistant Professor 1999-2004). Department of Educational Psychology, Ball State University
- Co-Director, Research Design Studio (2014 - present). The RDS provides research and evaluation support to faculty, students, and community members in developing high quality research designs to support applied and theoretical research. http://espace.bsu.edu/rds
- Director, Academic Anxiety Resource Center - (2008 - present). AARC provides resources to students, parents, educators, and researchers interested in academic anxieties (e.g., test anxiety) http://espace.bsu.edu/aarc
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychology, 1999
Master of Science (MS) in Psychology, 1996
Bachelor of Arts, 1994
Research and Publications
Sample Publications (see Vita for comprehensive list)
- Cassady, J.C., & Finch, W.H. (2020). Revealing Nuanced Relationships Among Cognitive Test Anxiety, Motivation, and Self-Regulation Through Curvilinear Analyses. Frontiers in Education: Educational Psychology (Special Issue on Achievement Emotions in University Students). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.01141
- Cassady, J.C., Heath, J.A., Thomas, C.L., Mangino, A., & Kornmann, M.A. (2020). Engaging students in STEM with non-traditional educational programs: Bridging the gaps between experts and learners. In A. MacDonald, L. Danaia, & S. Murphy (Eds.). STEM Education across the Learning Continuum: International Perspectives
- Cassady, J. C., & Thomas, C. L. (2020). Academic anxieties and emotional information processing: Identification and interventions to support students with affective disorders. In A.J. Martin, R.A. Sperling, & K.J. Newton (Eds.), Handbook of Educational Psychology and Students with Special Needs. New York: Routledge.
- Cassady, J.C. (2010). Anxiety in Schools: The Causes, Consequences and Solutions for Academic Anxieties. Peter Lang: New York.
Sample Funded Projects (see Vita for comprehensive list)
- Evaluator (2019-present). Muncie Community Schools Innovation Plan – curriculum alignment, longitudinal trends, PLTW implementation.
- Evaluation Consultation (2013-2020). Smithsonian Institution National Museum of the American Indian. Evaluation support for "National Education Initiative" and Native Knowledge 360° (funded in part by the Cargill Foundation).