Associate Professor of Mathematical Sciences
Ph.D. in Mathematics Education; Purdue University, 2015
M.S. in Mathematics, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, 2003
B.S. in Mathematics Education; Purdue University, 1997
- Mathematical learning trajectories
- Multiplicative and algebraic reasoning
- Practicing and prospective teacher development
- Inquiry-based pedagogy
- Woodward, J. & Shafer, K.G. (2018). Preservice Mathematics Teachers’ Perspectives of Productive Struggle. The Indiana Mathematics Teacher.
- Woodward, J. (2016). Distinguishing between schemes of mathematical equivalence: Joe’s transition to anticipatory quantitative relational equivalence. In Wood, M. B., Turner, E. E., Civil, M., & Eli, J. A. (Eds.). Proceedings of the 38th annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education. (pp. 179-186). Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona.
- Hord, C., Tzur, R., Xin, Y.P., Si, L., Kenney, R., Woodward, J. (2016). Overcoming a 4th Grader's Challenges with Working-Memory via Constructivist-Based Pedagogy and Strategic Scaffolds: Tia's Solutions to Challenging Multiplicative Tasks. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 44, 13-33.
- Tzur, R., Johnson, H. L., McClintock, E., Kenney, R. H., Xin, Y. P., Si, L., Woodward, J., Hord, C., & Jin, X. (2013). Distinguishing schemes and tasks in children's development of multiplicative reasoning. PNA, 7(3), 85-101.
- Woodward, J., Kenney, R., Zhang, D., Guebert, A., Cetintas, S., Tzur, R., Xin, Y. P. (2009). Conceptually based task design: Megan’s progress to the anticipatory stage of multiplicative double counting (mDC). In Swars, S. L., Stinson, D. W., & Lemons-Smith, S. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 31st Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Vol. 5, pp. 1378-1385). Atlanta, Georgia: Georgia St. University.
- Tzur, R., Xin, Y. P., Si, L., Woodward, J., & Jin, X. (2009). Promoting transition from participatory to anticipatory stage: Chad's case of multiplicative mixed-unit coordination (MMUC). In M. Tzekaki, M. Kaldrimidou & H. Sakonidis (Eds.), Proceedings of the 33rd Conference of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (Vol. 5, pp. 249-256). Thessaloniki, Greece: PME.